Subject: Re: lpt0 always idle
To: Germano Cesari <germano.cesari@tesoro.it>
From: Neil Ludban <nludban@columbus.rr.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/16/2002 12:01:27
Germano Cesari wrote:

> sorry to bother for something maybe-not-really-on-topic, but I couldnt
> find any answer around...
>
> NetBSD reports my canon lbp800 on local lpt0 always in idle state... I
> can lpr, but the job stops in the queue, waiting for lpt0 to become
> ready (as lpc/lpq says)

Same symptoms (IIRC) that I was seeing with an HP LaserJet 2200.  Try
using the polled device (lpa0) instead of the interrupt device (lpt0).

My conclusion after searching the web was that nobody even expects
interrupt mode to work correctly, due to a combination of flakey PC
hardware implementations and then printer manufacturers not bothering
to support it.  It would be really nice if somebody could verify this
and mention it in FAQs, lpt(4), and/or the /etc/printcap example...

-Neil