Subject: Re: Laptop
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/14/2002 22:01:45
In message <20021215025824.737fe944.TripleDES@eSlack.org>, Sergio Jimenez Romer
o writes:
>Hi, I'm thinking about to buy a laptop, and I want to know if anyone has probl
>ems with its chipset and graphic card on NetBSD. Thanks in advance.

The one thing I can say is, I've *never* had a happy experience with a VIA
chipset.  I spent the extra $many to get a ThinkPad with an Intel chipset
on the motherboard, and as a result, it took me almost three hours to get
my laptop completely up and running - and 45 minutes of that was spent being
too dim to try the hardware mute button.  I kid you not.

The only features I can't get to work are:
1.  Video in and out (ATI refuses to document them, apparently for legal
reasons)
2.  Firewire (but this is coming along nicely, and will probably work in
a couple of days)
3.  Suspend and resume from X.  (Works fine on text consoles.)

If you can possibly avoid the crappy VIA chipset, do.  The list of problems
I've had with them is vast and surreal; to this day, my VIA chipset machines
with USB are inclined to annoying problems or port failures.

-s