Subject: Re: bktr driver
To: Louis Guillaume <lguillaume@berklee.edu>
From: Ron Roskens <roskens@elfin.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/11/2002 16:57:06
I'd thought about doing the same thing using NetBSD, and ended up using
linux mainly because software was available there (using the v4l
interface). I'm tempted to try again on NetBSD, now that I figured out how
to get xawtv compiled for bsd support (bktr driver).

My hardware is the Hauppauge WinTV-radio (#401).

NetBSD does not have any support for the digital audio interface from
this board either (linux has it via btaudio) although you could use the
lineout and connect it to your soundcard. (it shows up as a multimedia
function 1).

Under Linux I've been using xawtv's streamer to record an QT .mov file.
and then use mpegtools and mplex to convert it to a VCD compatible mpeg
file.

I haven't thought about using it for streaming video or as a tivo-like
appliance because the box is about 1k miles away.

Another place for information would be the freebsd multimedia mailing
list.

On Wed, 11 Dec 2002, Louis  Guillaume wrote:

> I recently posted this on comp.unix.bsd.netbsd.misc to no avail. Please
> let me know if there is a better place to send this.
>
> I'm interested in building a NetBSD appliance centered around
> Television/Video/Audio Capture and playback.
>
> A veritable entertainment-center-in-a-box appliance similar to Tivo or
> something, if you will.
>
> Does anyone have recent information on the status of the bktr driver?
> All the information I've found has been untouched since 2000 (which
> could be a good thing, a sign of stability??).
>
> I'm also looking at what hardware to buy. It seems that amongst the
> Hauppauge cards there are some that have hardware mpeg encoders and some
> that don't. It will be necessary for my project to be able to capture
> audio/video.
>
> Supposedly the fxtv package does capture mpeg video and allow "pausing"
> of TV, but does this occur outside of the pci hardware or does this
> require a "video capture" device?
>
> Somehow I suspect (because of the aged bktr driver) that some of the
> cooler features (pause TV, hardware-based mpeg2 encoding, remote control
> and others) are not yet implemented.
>
> What's the best way to find out the status of this project and would
> anyone be interested in helping me develop this driver for this purpose?
>
> Any help would be fantastic,
>
> Thanks,
>
> Louis

Elfin