Subject: Re: NVidia binary driver
To: None <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Quentin Garnier <netbsd-port-i386@quatriemek.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/09/2002 21:39:50
Le Mon, 9 Dec 2002 11:30:41 -0500
Thor Lancelot Simon a écrit :
> On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 04:28:55PM +0100, Quentin Garnier wrote:
> > Le Mon, 9 Dec 2002 05:30:33 +0100
> > Andrzej Szeszo a écrit :
> > > Thursday, December 5, 2002, 11:34:07 PM, you wrote:
[...]
> > > I stop Xserver text-console becomes darker and darker making text
> > > unreadable. I must say that I have installed some FreeBSD 5.x
> > > snapshot
> >
> > Yeah, I get the same here. Sometimes it also goes completely black.
>
> Other XFree drivers have this problem.  What's going on is that the
> XFree code no longer consistently restores the VGA pallette when
> switching to text mode, because under Linux, the console driver has
> enough knowledge of the VGA registers to do this.  Since the XFree code
> *used to* do the right thing, we don't even try to do it in our console
> driver; maybe we need to change that.

I had the problem back in... don't remember exactly but it had to be April
or May with my ATI card and NetBSD-current, but it had disappeared a few
months later when I switched my workstation to NetBSD for good.

> If you can make the nvidia driver restore the pallette when switching
> back to text mode, this problem will go away, FWIW.

I have no control over NVidia userland, unfortunately.

--
Quentin Garnier - cube@cubidou.net
"Feels like I'm fiddling while Rome is burning down.