Subject: Re: NVidia binary driver
To: Quentin Garnier <netbsd-port-i386@quatriemek.com>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/09/2002 11:30:41
On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 04:28:55PM +0100, Quentin Garnier wrote:
> Le Mon, 9 Dec 2002 05:30:33 +0100
> Andrzej Szeszo a écrit :
> > Thursday, December 5, 2002, 11:34:07 PM, you wrote:
> > > It's a bit complicated, but it's an early work. Code is ugly and not
> > > likely to work on your system.
> > I haven't looked at the code yet but your driver works on my computer.
>
> That's good news.
>
> > I've done it on 1.6 userland. Kernel and x11 was compiled from
> > 2002.12.08 sources. The only problem I have encountered is that when I
> > stop Xserver text-console becomes darker and darker making text
> > unreadable. I must say that I have installed some FreeBSD 5.x snapshot
>
> Yeah, I get the same here. Sometimes it also goes completely black.

Other XFree drivers have this problem.  What's going on is that the XFree
code no longer consistently restores the VGA pallette when switching to
text mode, because under Linux, the console driver has enough knowledge of
the VGA registers to do this.  Since the XFree code *used to* do the right
thing, we don't even try to do it in our console driver; maybe we need to
change that.

If you can make the nvidia driver restore the pallette when switching
back to text mode, this problem will go away, FWIW.

Thor