Subject: Re: Initial root password for generic kernel?
To: Thomas Mueller <tmueller@bluegrass.net>
From: Quentin Garnier <netbsd-port-i386@quatriemek.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/03/2002 07:41:44
Le Tue,  3 Dec 2002 01:34:18 -0500 (EST)
Thomas Mueller a écrit :
> I tried to dosboot the NetBSD 1.6 generic kernel for testing purposes
> but was snagged at the login.  My first try was root with no (blank)
> password, and I got the message "Login incorrect" and another login
> prompt.  Then I made various guesses but was unable to login.  However I
> was able to dosboot and reach a command prompt with -s (single-user
> mode), and was able to mount an msdos-formatted floppy and copy the
> dmesg thereto (from /var/run/dmesg.boot). So was something wrong on the
> login, or is that how it's supposed to be?

You're supposed to set the root password at installation time. Otherwise,
the root account has no password set, which doesn't mean the password is
empty, and thus cannot be used.

The solution is to boot in single-user, mount in read-write the relevant
partitions and set the root password, e.g. :

# mount -at ffs
# passwd

Then, typing ^D is enough to switch to multi-user.

cube

--
That's how I did it, Anton. I never saved anything
for the swim back.