Subject: Java 1.4/JIT hanging under NetBSD 1.6/i386
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Paul J. Lavoie <pjl@ilx.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/02/2002 16:25:15
This has come up a few times with no one seemingly giving an answer, so I thought I'd bring it up again, and see if anyone has any ideas. The problem is that
under certain intensive java applications run under a JIT/native version of the java interpreter, one of the threads will run away with the CPU, and require a
'kill -9' in order to recover.

While taking a look at some of the applications that I have that exhibit this trait, what I have notices is that the more intensive the program, the quicker
that this problem will exhibit itself. Some applications take hours to reach this state, others are immediate. In addition, the thread (process) that does run
away with the CPU seems to be immune to having 'ktruss' decipher anything about it. This leads me to believe that something in the kernel is having a fit, and
it is not simply a misemulated system call.

I have some java apps that I would like to run native on NetBSD and not resort to remote displays from more functional systems. Any help or suggestions are
welcome.

Thanks.

Paul J. Lavoie		paul.lavoie@tfn.com	(212) 510-3029
Sales, Trading and Wealth Management		111 Fulton Street, 2nd Floor
Thomson Financial				New York, NY  10038