Subject: Re: Two Network Cards?
To: None <wojtek@tensor.3miasto.net>
From: David Burgess <burgess@neonramp.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 12/02/2002 09:45:21
>> Subject: Two Network Cards?
>>
>> Is it possible to increase a machine's network bandwidth by
>> installing two (or more network cards) which all have IP numbers in
>> the same subnet?  (Perhaps they might all have to have the same
>> number?)
>>
> yes but you must somewhat share the load on these IP's (like putting 2
> IP's in server name etc.)

I recently did this for my NFS server.  I used the classical approach.
The non-default outgoing interface needs to have an appropriate netmask
(e.g. 255.255.255.0) and the rest need to have a restricted netmask
(255.255.255.255).  You might run into performance issues even in this
configuration, since the interface with the broad netmask gets all of the
output.

I don't know what's up with something like Etherchannel.

Dave

--
Dave Burgess
CTO, Nebraska On-Ramp