Subject: Re: PS/2 mice.
To: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@polderland.nl>
From: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/30/2002 09:08:33
On Fri, Nov 29, 2002 at 01:20:15AM +0100, Olaf Seibert wrote:
> This reminds me of something else related to mice and keyboards: my
> laptip has a keyboard and touchpad which are both functioning as PS/2
> devices. But there is also an extra PS/2 connector. Connecting a mouse
> or keyboard seems to do nothing at all, no extra device is detected.

Check your bios settings.

My laptop has a touchpad, nipple, and an external ps/2 port.  I
can use all three devices at the same time, but there's a bios
setting to configure how this behaves (ie, whether the external
will replace the internal when connected, or work in parallel.)

It's invisible to the OS - they all appear as one pms. So the
machine must be combining the signals somehow. I guess some devices
might not cooperate, and that's the reason for the option.

My laptop is a dell, but my older toshiba's had the same style of
option. In contrast, I've seen some thinkpads that only detect
external ps/2 mice on powerup.

--
Dan.