Subject: Re: PS/2 mice.
To: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@polderland.nl>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@rice.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/29/2002 08:43:29
> > Do you connect them before you boot, or after?  I don't know if it puts
 [...]
> At least the mouse I have plugged in before boot, but with a keyboard I
> am not so sure. I will try that again to make sure. In any case, it
> looks like some hardware magic is necessary since NetBSD always already
> detects a PS/2 keyboard and PS/2 mouse - the extra one would need to be
> merged with the built-in one (or replace it perhaps).

The default config seems to work okay with multiple keyboards (I have
plugged in a USB keyboard and keep on going---in X or at the console).

For multiple mice, I think that the only hangup is that you configure X to
use wsmouse (*not* wsmouse0).  I think that that's all that I had to do to
get my system working.  (I have a touch-pad built in, and plug in via USB
either a mouse or a trackball.  I think that I've had both plugged in in
the past, and everything worked.  (^&)

You might want to see the wsmux man-page.

> > have just one PS/2 connector, I'd start by assuming that it's a keyboard
> > connector rather than a mouse connector.  (Prior to USB, about the only
>
> This makes sense. I'll try a serial mouse, if I have one. That's
> probably just a matter of configuring X to use it.

For serial mice, I think you need to run a special daemon to get a serial
mouse into the wsmux mix.  (Of course, if you *just* want the serial
mouse, you could tell X where it is and not let NetBSD worry about it.
(^&)

Good luck.