Subject: Re: unrebootable compaq deskpro EN's
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/28/2002 08:13:43
On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 02:29:24PM -0800, Jonathan Stone wrote:

> It looked like a persistent bug in Compaq's OEM bios.
> Linux, FreeBSD, and NetBSD all showed the same symptoms.
> Won't warm boot, but cycle AC and they're fine.

It certainly looks like that to me, too.  I hadn't tried other OS's
yet, that is interesting information.

> RH L**ux pulled in some Lilo fixes between 7.0 and 7.1 (or 7.1 -> 7.2?
> last RH before grub) which fixed the problems for linux. Having
> already looked at lilo once, I never had the stomach to read through
> the diffs and figure out what the workaround was.

Are you sure it was a lilo change that fixed it?  That's not where
I'd (naively) expect the fix/workaround to go, given that when it
fails is well before the boot loader has a chance to do anything
for reboot. I'd be far more suspicious of the conditions set up by
the kernel just prior to the reset, and the reset itself.

Unless there's something of the bootloader left in memory from the
first cold boot?

--
Dan.