Subject: Re: unrebootable compaq deskpro EN's
To: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
From: Audun Arnesen Nordal <audun@stud.cs.uit.no>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/27/2002 22:32:50
On Tue, 26 Nov 2002, Daniel Carosone wrote:

> Between myself and a couple of friends, we have several various
> models of the Compaq Deskpro EN. These are small, very quiet desktop
> machines, with P-II CPU's in the 350-450MHz range.
>
> They work wonderfully, with one common problem across the lot: they
> won't reboot. APM works, and will suspend/resume ok, and they will
> poweroff, but if you issue a reboot(8) the machine shuts down and
> does all the normal rebooting things, but when the actual reset
> happens and the screen goes blank, they never come back.

I have a Compaq Deskpro EP PIII, and mine is also silly when booting,
although it will finally boot if I leave it for a minute or two. The
symptoms are that when booting (cold/warm) the kernel is read in by the
bootloader, then the screen goes blank. I then have to leave it for a
minute or two before the boot with device probing and everything
commences. Maybe the delay is longer, I don't reboot very often :-) The
strange thing is that, IIRC, the problem wasn't there way back. I think it
appeared when I updated to 1.5 or maybe 1.5.1.

--
Audun Nordal