Subject: Re: unrebootable compaq deskpro EN's
To: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/25/2002 14:29:24
In message <20021125221739.GB9218@bcd.geek.com.au>Daniel Carosone writes
[...]

>They work wonderfully, with one common problem across the lot: they
>won't reboot. APM works, and will suspend/resume ok, and they will
>poweroff, but if you issue a reboot(8) the machine shuts down and
>does all the normal rebooting things, but when the actual reset
>happens and the screen goes blank, they never come back.
>
>No success so far playing with the (limited) BIOS options to affect
>the behaviour.

I saw identical symptoms with several Compaq AP 500s (deskside P3s,
smp-capable). It looked like a persistent bug in Compaq's OEM bios.
Linux, FreeBSD, and NetBSD all showed the same symptoms.
Won't warm boot, but cycle AC and they're fine.

RH L**ux pulled in some Lilo fixes between 7.0 and 7.1 (or 7.1 -> 7.2?
last RH before grub) which fixed the problems for linux. Having
already looked at lilo once, I never had the stomach to read through
the diffs and figure out what the workaround was.

>Any ideas what I could try next? I have a couple of these machines
>running remotely, and not being able to reboot them can sometimes
>be a pain.

Weasel, or telnet-aware poweron/off, time?