Subject: Re: openoffice & linux
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Ross Patterson <Ross.Patterson@CatchFS.Com>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/18/2002 11:47:39
On Monday 18 November 2002 08:56 am, Germano Cesari wrote:
> on the
> OpenOffice directory there was an .rpm and a .tar.gz, I just copied
> both, ungizipped & untared the first (in /emul/linux/something of
> course), run ./setup and it started unpacking and installing tons of
> things... I selected /usr/local/OpenOffice for install (and infact the
> real path now is /emul/linux/usr/local/OpenOffice) when finished I just
> launched ./soffice, it went through the initial setup & registration
> forms, and then started...

OK, that's half the job :-)

Seriously, you should go to www.OpenOffice.Org and read the installation
documentation.  Basically what you've done is installed a single-user version
of OpenOffice.  The same files can be used to install a multi-user version,
which is the recommended setup for Unix-ish systems.  I think you'll find the
words you need in the setup guide
(http://documentation.openoffice.org/setup_guide/en/ooo_setup_english.pdf),
but the short version is "Run './setup -net' first as root, then './setup'
afterwards as the user".
--
Ross A. Patterson
CatchFIRE Systems, Inc.