Subject: Re: can newfs do a surface scan or otherwise id bad disk blocks reported on a previous Win32 partition?
To: None <alicia@engine.ca>
From: Ernst du Toit <et@houseofet.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/13/2002 13:55:45
You might want to try the Drive Fitness Test from IBM:
http://www.storage.ibm.com/hdd/support/download.htm#DFT

It is a dd image of a bootable PC-DOS floppy.

If the laptop drive is an IBM device it can map and flag the bad blocks in
the drive firmware tables. Non IBM drives can also be tested but I'm not
sure if the blocks can be flagged in firmware.

--et