Subject: hardware damage and ACPI, current-i386
To: NetBSD/i386 <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Bryan J. Phillippe \(spamblock\) <bryan-spamtrap5@darkforest.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/08/2002 13:01:10
Hello,

I have an ACPI-only HP pavilion zt1230 notebook which I've been running 1.6
relatively happily on for a while, sans ACPI support.  I've just started
playing with Masanori Kanaoka's ACPI stuff (specifically, I tested the
prebuilt kernel he referenced on port-i386, and I am building a current
kernel with his last posted patch right now), and it seems like it is
really working.  Previously (under 1.6), the ACPI support failed to load
any tables at bootup.

In any case, my question is regarding the risk of hardware damage when
running _without_ ACPI support.  Last night I was running the standard 1.6
kernel sans ACPI, doing a full release build of current, and my laptop
_shut off_ on its own.  Same thing happened this morning when I tried to
build current again.  After a few hours of sustained load average of ~ 4,
the machine shut off in the middle of use.  I am quite certain this is
because of overheating.  I am hoping the hardware is smart enough to go
ahead and kill the system before any actual damage occurs, but this is my
first ACPI system and I don't know much about it.  Comments welcome.

Masanori, I would be happy to post to you the results of this latest kernel
build when I boot it.  Can you tell me anything about how your patch may
allow my system to catch overheating notifications and/or reduce CPU load
to prevent damage/sudden poweroff?

thanks,
-bp
--