Subject: Re: X on Laptops?
To: Greg Troutman <wulf@ping.net.au, mor@linex.com>
From: Steven Grunza <steven_grunza@ieee.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/06/2002 09:59:50
I would be interested in the Dell 8100 Inspiron XF86Config file.  I may be
able to improve the graphics resolution mode I'm using on my Dell 7500
Inspiron.  I'm currently using 1024x768 on a screen that should be able to
do 1400x1050.  I just can't figure out the Modeline for 1400x1050...

steven_grunza@ieee.org

At 11:46 AM 11/6/2002 +1030, wulf@ping.net.au wrote:
>G'day,
>
>I had similar problems on a Dell 8100 Inspiron with builtin Radeon graphic
>adapter. I ran the xf86config utility and modified the resulting file by hand.
>If you like I can send you my XF86Config file. It may serve you as a starting
>point.
>
>Sysinfo: NetBSD-1.6I and XF4-current built from the sources.
>
>cheerio Berndt
>

> > Daniel Carosone wrote:

> > > Actually, try "X -configure" with XF4.
> >
> > K, but that was even worse.  After running this command, then the
> > command it says to do next ('XFree86 -xf86config /root/XF86Config.new')
> > I still get the 'No OS PCI support' error, but now I also get an
> > additional error message saying:
> >
> > (EE) Screen(s) found, but none are useable.
> >
> > AND the center couple lines of the screen are now permanently
> > smeared/unreadable...
> >
> > Looks like maybe I need to use XFree v3 like the other said, huh?

"Unix is user friendly, it's just | Steven Grunza
particular about with whom it     | voice:  (856) 787 - 2759
makes friends."                   | fax:    (856) 866 - 2033
  - Unknown                        | mailto:steven_grunza@ieee.org