Subject: Re: Support for Promise RAID
To: Stephen Borrill <netbsd@precedence.co.uk>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 11/02/2002 18:59:44
On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 03:41:22PM +0000, Stephen Borrill wrote:
> Is there any plan to pullup support for the Promise MBFastTrakl133 Lite
> RAID controller to NetBSD 1.6? This is being shipped on-board on NEC TM600
> servers which are very well priced and specced machines. This is probed as
> "Promise Ultra133TX2/ATA Bus Master IDE Accelerator". I may backport it
> myself; are there any showstoppers that anyone can think of?

It has been pulled up to the 1.6 branch not long ago.

> I notice from -current pciide.c that the RAID mode is forced off (so I
> didn't look further for any support). Is support for its RAID capabilities
> likely to be worked on?

There's no RAID capability in this hardware, it's all software. Just use
raidframe and you'll have RAID.
One improvement would be to have the RAID bios cooperate with raidframe,
but this would require some changes to raidframe, and I didn't look at it
yet.