Subject: "we1: device timeout" with bootparam
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Ingolf Steinbach <ingolf-200210@steinba.ch>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/31/2002 23:34:35
Hi,

when trying to boot an 1.6 kernel which is configured to mount
the root file system via NFS (bootparam), I get a device timeout
message for my ethernet card. (The kernel itself is read from
the local hard disk.) Please find below an extract from the
boot messages. More information available on request.

What goes wrong here?

With 1.5.3 the above procedure (nearly) worked. I had found
that I had to use ifconfig once after a power-on followed by
shutdown -r now, but after that, the machine would happily
mount the root file system via bootparam/nfs.

Kind regards
    Ingolf

BIOS CFG: Model-SubM-Rev: fc-01-00, 0x74<EBDA,KBDINT,RTC,IC2>
[...]
NetBSD 1.6 (HERMES) #2: Thu Oct 31 22:58:19 CET 2002
    ingolf@helios:/usr/obj/sys/arch/i386/compile/HERMES
cpu0: Intel 486DX (486-class)
[...]
we1 at isa0 port 0x300-0x31f iomem 0xcc000-0xcffff irq 10
we1: WD8013EPC Ethernet (16-bit)
we1: Ethernet address 00:00:c0:20:6b:63
[...]
boot device: wd0
root on we1
nfs_boot: trying RARP (and RPC/bootparam)
we1: device timeout
we1: device timeout
we1: device timeout
we1: device timeout