Subject: agp error: pci_mem_find: void region: can't map aperture
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Duncan McEwan <duncan@mcs.vuw.ac.nz>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/31/2002 15:00:39
Hi,

I'm trying to install NetBSD 1.6I (but most recently I've tried with a 1.6J
kernel from a few days ago, with no change) on a Dell Latitude C400 laptop.

The system installs and boots fine, but I am unable to get XFree86 4.2.1
working.  I get the error messages

  (EE) GARTInit: Unable to open /dev/agpgart (Device not configured)
  Symbol xf86InterpretEDID from module /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libvbe.a is
  unresolved!
  Symbol XAAInit from module /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/i810_drv.o is
  unresolved!
  Symbol XAAInit from module /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/i810_drv.o is
  unresolved!
  Fatal server error:
  Caught signal 11.  Server aborting

The full XFree86 log is at http://www.mcs.vuw.ac.nz/~duncan/XFree86.0.log if
anyone cares to look.

I'm not sure whether the unresolved symbols are related, but I figured I'd see
if fixing the agp problem made them go away...

Dmesg tells me the following:

  NetBSD 1.6J (GENERIC_LAPTOP) #0: Tue Oct 29 15:19:43 NZDT 2002
      mark@dellc64h2.mcs.vuw.ac.nz:/mnt/SAVE/build.obj/sys/arch/i386/compile/ \
      GENERIC_LAPTOP
  agp0 at pchb0pci_mem_find: void region
  : can't map aperture
  vga1 at pci0 dev 2 function 0: Intel 82830MP Integrated Video (rev. 0x03)

Again, full dmesg output is at http://www.mcs.vuw.ac.nz/~duncan/dmesg.out

A search of google gave various hits on making c400's work with Linux or
FreeBSD, but nothing that appeared directly relevant to the problems I am
seeing, and nothing useful about what might cause this "void region" error
message.  So any suggestions from list readers would be appreciated...

Also, if the agp error is not the cause of the unresolved symbol errors
suggestions there would be appreciated as well.  (My full XF86config file is
at http://www.mcs.vuw.ac.nz/~duncan/XF86Config

Duncan