Subject: Re: Conflict with xconsole and textmode /dev/console
To: Julio Merino <jmmv@menta.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/29/2002 13:13:46
On Tue, 29 Oct 2002, Julio Merino wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Oct 2002 17:32:48 +0100
> Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr> wrote:
>
> > NO ! This will break if you use serial console; this is why is was changed
> > from /dev/ttyE0 to /dev/console.
>
> Well so... I think in two "solutions":
> 1) If we select serial bootblocks during sysinst, force /dev/console to be
>    used. Instead, if wscons is supported, setup /dev/ttyE0.
> 2) Make the boot process determine if we are using a serial console or not
>    and enable ttyE0 or console accordingly.

It already does that. "/dev/console" isn't really a device. It's an
indirection for whatever is held in the sysctl "kern.consdev". You
should get exactly the same result either way -- if not, it's a bug.

> It is... well... inconsistant to use /dev/console, /dev/ttyE1, etc. and just
> to say wsmoused won't work with this setup ;)

What does "wsmoused" have to do with it? The kernel options needed by
"wsmoused", WSDISPLAY_CHARFUNCS, isn't even enabled in the GENERIC
kernels.

> > xconsole shouldn't cause this behavior.  There is a bug somewhere, which needs
> > to be fixed.

Frederick