Subject: Re: Conflict with xconsole and textmode /dev/console
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Julio Merino <jmmv@menta.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/29/2002 19:56:05
On Tue, 29 Oct 2002 17:32:48 +0100
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr> wrote:

> NO ! This will break if you use serial console; this is why is was changed
> from /dev/ttyE0 to /dev/console.

Well so... I think in two "solutions":
1) If we select serial bootblocks during sysinst, force /dev/console to be
   used. Instead, if wscons is supported, setup /dev/ttyE0.
2) Make the boot process determine if we are using a serial console or not
   and enable ttyE0 or console accordingly.

It is... well... inconsistant to use /dev/console, /dev/ttyE1, etc. and just
to say wsmoused won't work with this setup ;)

> xconsole shouldn't cause this behavior.  There is a bug somewhere, which needs
> to be fixed.

Good reason.

Regards

--