Subject: Re: system hang
To: Germano Cesari <germano.cesari@tesoro.it>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/29/2002 08:41:48
On 29 Oct 2002, Germano Cesari wrote:

# anyway, pstat -s tells me wd0b is at 7%, so whats the need of mounting
# mfs on /tmp? do this make things faster?

In a word, yes.  Any program which needs temporary files with which to
work (cc, sort, others...) will see an improvement, especially on slower
machines (even on my workstation which is no slug, real time for a copy
from disk to mfs is about half the time for a copy from disk to disk
(and yes, I picked a filesystem on which I could cache-invalidate by
umounting) of a 3.5MB file.  Time for mfs -> mfs copy appears to be
about half that.  The difference on disk -> disk will depend on your
disks.  But I digress.

Another advantage of mfs is that it goes *poof* on a reboot or unmount,
so if the system crashes and your compilers or other things (like X)
have left their garbage there, unable to recover, when the system comes
back, it's already gone (never mind that /tmp is usually set to get
cleaned on a reboot anyway...).

				--*greywolf;