Subject: Re: system hang
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Germano Cesari <germano.cesari@tesoro.it>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/29/2002 15:57:05
> >ok ok, but (I said I was a newbie :-)) ok the system may be thrashing,
> >but shouldnt it just kill the proc responsible for it, instead of hang
> >dead? how can a 'simple' process crash everything? (really, Id like to
> >understand)
>
> no, because if it can limp along, it might get better, in which case
> killing something would have been premature.

ok but (Im absolutely not complainig, just wondering :)) when it comes
to a point such that nothing can be further accomplished, shouldnt BSD
kill the process instead of freezing? I mean: is it a bug? is it normal
behaviuour? can a BSD system totally crash just to see if things get
better for a process? sounds strange... it is not related to the kernel
modules vmware needs to run?

anyway, pstat -s tells me wd0b is at 7%, so whats the need of mounting
mfs on /tmp? do this make things faster?

aw, thnx anyway :))

Germano