Subject: Conflict with xconsole and textmode /dev/console
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Christian Hattemer <chris@heaven.riednet.wh.tu-darmstadt.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/29/2002 02:03:44
Hi,

this probably applies to more than i386, but I thougth I'd mail here first.

Since 1.6 the first text mode console uses /dev/console by default instead
of /dev/ttyE0. I can login on the first (console) screen and also on the
second (ttyE1) screen and start X from there. The first screen still works
fine. But when xconsole is running and I change back to the first console
and type a key it does not appear on the screen. Instead it appears in the
xconsole. There also appears a new login prompt. Also messages about getty
repeating to fast on /dev/console appear. When closing xconsole everything
goes back to normal and I can login on the first screen again.

Is this a problem with this new default?

However I don't have X 4.2.0 as it was installed by sysinst but 4.1.0
binaries from xfree.org (seems to work ok while 4.2.0 did not). During
installation I asked not to overwrite the configfiles, but it seems there
are still some differences. xdm looked for cpp in /usr/libexec, but there's
only cpp0, so I made a softlink to /usr/bin/cpp (BTW: Why are these two cpp
different?). So this problem might not appear in a normal installation,
can't remember if this was the same when 4.2.0 was still installed. On a
quick grep '/dev/console' through /usr/X11R6 there where only a few matching
files which were identical to the ones installed with 4.2.0.

For now I have fixed this problem by changing /etc/ttys to use ttyE0 again
instead of console.

Bye, Chris

--
          __
         /// Amiga 4000T 040/40                    /~\ The ASCII

(to) optimize: Making a program faster by improving the algorithms
               rather than by buying a faster machine.