Subject: Re: Offtopic, Mainboard recommandation
To: NetBSD/i386 Discussion List <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Thomas Michael Wanka <Tom@Wanka.at>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/23/2002 09:21:34
Hi,

On 22 Oct 2002 at 18:53, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> [ On Tuesday, October 22, 2002 at 22:42:30 (+0200), Thomas Michael
> Wanka wrote: ] > Subject: Re: Offtopic, Mainboard recommandation > > I
> cannot remember the Asus board, but IIRC the Tyan Tiger has a bios >
> option to view Ecc Error Messages.
>
> Unfortunately that's pretty much useless.  If I can't see the errors
> as they happen then by the time I get to see them in some BIOS
> diagnostics screen it's far too late as serious damage has probably
> already happened.

that is correct, but if this information can displayed by the bios it
must be written somewhere, and therefore it must be possible to get
access through the OS. I would be satisfied to have a daemon that
reads this information - say once a minute - and displays warnings or
delivers them through SMTP.

mike