Subject: Re: Offtopic, Mainboard recommandation
To: NetBSD/i386 Discussion List <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Murray Armfield <murray.armfield@arconsulting.com.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/23/2002 11:52:14
Hi Folks,
=09I have one of these ASUS dual athlon boards. The latest bios supports =
remote=20
consoles though I haven't done it. I came across trouble with the memory=20
bays. There are requirements on what types of DDR are in the slots. It is=
=20
documented on the ASUS motherboard page.

Take care,
=09Murray

On Wed, 23 Oct 2002 10:38 am, you wrote:
> [ On Wednesday, October 23, 2002 at 02:06:59 (+0200), der Mouse wrote: =
]

> > Subject: Re: Offtopic, Mainboard recommandation

> > > Unfortunately that's pretty much useless.
> >
> > Why?  After all, it's not as if Windows does anything with ecc errors=
,
> > right?
> >
> > > If I can't see the errors as they happen then by the time I get to
> > > see them in some BIOS diagnostics screen it's far too late as serio=
us
> > > damage has probably already happened.
> >
> > Not if the message was "soft ecc error corrected, SIMM slot nnn", in
> > which case it serves as an early-warning system for memory going bad.
> >
> > Of course, who actually brings the machine down to check such things
> > even semi-regularly?
>
> That's my point.  :-0
>
> Once I get to see the BIOS message the damage will have been done and
> all I'm seeing is confirmation of what really might have happened (and
> confirmation w.r.t. what might need repairing).

--=20
Murray Armfield
Director
AR Consulting (VIC) Pty Ltd
Mobile: 0410 531 553
Fax: +613 9416 0313

This e-mail is confidential and for the sole use of the intended
recipient(s).  If you are not the intended recipient, you are not
authorised to disclose, use, distribute or in any other way make
use of the information contained in it, and such activities are
prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please
notify the sender by reply e-mail, delete the document and