Subject: Re: Offtopic, Mainboard recommandation
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/22/2002 19:12:22
woods@weird.com (Greg A. Woods) writes:

> [ On Tuesday, October 22, 2002 at 22:42:30 (+0200), Thomas Michael Wanka wrote: ]
> > Subject: Re: Offtopic, Mainboard recommandation
> >
> > I cannot remember the Asus board, but IIRC the Tyan Tiger has a bios
> > option to view Ecc Error Messages.
>
> Unfortunately that's pretty much useless.  If I can't see the errors as
> they happen then by the time I get to see them in some BIOS diagnostics
> screen it's far too late as serious damage has probably already happened.

The Tyan Tiger dual-athlon board uses precicely the same chipset as
the Asus board I mentioned that started this subthread, so any work
for one will apply to the other (at the moment, there's only one
dual-athlon chipset, period).

That said, my preference for the Asus was based mostly on the fact
that it had two serial ports, rather than one, and onboard
audio. Since it was for a workstation machine that needed both audio
and ethernet, I'd rather take my chances with the onboard audio being
crappy and supply my own ethernet card, than the other way around.

To the best of my knowledge they still ship a 4-port USB 2.0 card with
the board.

        - Nathan