Subject: Re: Offtopic, Mainboard recommandation
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Michael Wanka <Tom@Wanka.at>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/22/2002 22:30:26
Hi,

On 22 Oct 2002 at 13:38, Nathan J. Williams wrote:
> I've been pretty happy with my Asus A7M266-D motherboard, for a dual
> Athlon configuration.
>
> Features:
>  - 4 PC2100 DIMM slots, up to 3.5GB, with ECC support.
>  - 2 IDE channels (up to ultra-dma 100)
>  - 2 64/66 PCI slots
>  - 3 32/33 PCI slots.
>
> I didn't try 1.5.3 on it; I started with -current somewhere in the
> 1.5Z territory, but it's worked fine.

I have not tested it with NetBSD, but I prefer the Tyan Tiger to the
Asus. When the Asus came out (half a year ago) they had several
revisions and problems, maybe this is solved by now. The Tyan board
is a little cheaper here, and has one 32Bit PCI slot more and an
onboard nic. It also has a console redirector so it should be able to
be used headless.

Did they resolve their USB problem or do they still ship a PCI USB
card (that was common for all MPX boards when they came out)?

mike