Subject: Re: Offtopic, Mainboard recommandation
To: NetBSD/i386 Discussion List <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/22/2002 17:15:27
woods@weird.com (Greg A. Woods) writes:

> [ On , October 22, 2002 at 13:38:47 (-0400), Nathan J. Williams wrote: ]
> > Subject: Re: Offtopic, Mainboard recommandation
> >

> > I've been pretty happy with my Asus A7M266-D motherboard, for a dual
> > Athlon configuration.
> >
> > Features:
> >  - 4 PC2100 DIMM slots, up to 3.5GB, with ECC support.
>
> What does "ECC support" mean for this particular board?

With sufficently wide DIMMS, the chipset (AMD 760MPX) supports
generating ECC data on write and checking ECC data on reads. If the
right bit in the configuration is enabled, a fault is generated when
an error (single or multibit) is detected. The fault is a PCI SERR#,
which the southbridge can turn into a processor NMI).

The BIOS for the board can enable ECC. I haven't yet glued code into
NetBSD to enable the error reporting or the NMI.

        - Nathan