Subject: Re: Problem with ATI Rage (xfree86 4.2.0)
To: Konrad Neuwirth <konrad@fimsch.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/19/2002 20:23:05
On Fri, 18 Oct 2002, Konrad Neuwirth wrote:

>   I'm currently fighting severe problems getting XFree86 to run on my
> i386 system; the X server keeps crashing with a signal 11.  I've found
> a hint of a comparable situation indicating that it's worth a try to
> compile a kernel without agp support, but that didn't help, either.
>
>   The server tries moving around MTRR stuff and dies whilst doing so (
> (WW) R128(0): remove MTRR a0000 - c0000
> (WW) R128(0): set MTRR f0000 - 100000
> are the last entries in the log before it dies).

I doubt if the MTRR setting is responsible for the server crashing,
but you can always build a kernel without options "MTRR" to be sure.

The next thing that's supposed to happen, is that the driver completes
softbooting the card, so it looks like that's where the bug is in the
driver. One idea -- you might try invoking the "r128" driver directly,
rather than letting the "ati" driver do it. See
"/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/doc/README.r128".

Frederick