Subject: Re: mozilla in the pkg system
To: Mattias Sandstrom <mattias@beauty.se>
From: Julio Merino <jmmv@menta.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/19/2002 11:23:25
On Sat, 19 Oct 2002 02:46:33 +0200
Mattias Sandstrom <mattias@beauty.se> wrote:

> i'm trying to install a web browser that depends on the mozilla package
> since it needs the gecko engine. the problem is that mozilla isn't in
> the package system and thus the add fails, which complicates things. i
> have mozilla installed by direct download from mozilla.org, but that's
> not reckognized by pkg. do i have to build my own using pkgsrc or what?

NetBSD's pkg system is not like FreeBSD's one. In FreeBSD, dependancies
work by searching specific files; if found, it assumes that the package is
installed. In NetBSD this works by searching if the package itself is
installed, not if some files are present. So, the easiest solution is to
build mozilla from the package system or download and install a precompiled
package (for NetBSD) that can be added with pkg_add.

Note that all these things go into /usr/pkg by default, not /usr/local.

HTH

PS: What does this message have to do with port-i386? It is not an i386
related question, so it should go to netbsd-users or netbsd-help.

--
Julio Merino (http://jmmv.dyndns.org/) <jmmv@menta.net>