Subject: Re: Repeated Packages
To: Daniel Bolgheroni <dab__@uol.com.br>
From: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/17/2002 22:17:06
On Thu, 17 Oct 2002, Daniel Bolgheroni wrote:

> I've got seven images of NetBSD/i386 from ftp.netbsd.org:
>
> - i386cd.iso
> - i386pkg[123456].iso
>
> I was looking the packages in all CDs, and there are some packages
> repetead.
>
> Am I wrong or the CDs contains repeated packages?

yes, the CD layout is designed so that every CD is self contained.  In
other words, for any package on a CD, all the dependencies are also on
that CD to ease installation.  The layout was done using
the pkgtools/cdpack package.  There are two general options for the
layout.  There is the default 'with duplication' option which was used in
this case.  The other options is a 'no duplication' option.  That
minimizes the size of the collection.  In addition, in that case, the CD's
are arranged so that a package on CD #n has all of its dependencies on CD
#1 to #n.

-Dan