Subject: Re: disk cloning, imaging
To: Graham M Greenfield <grahagre@ocusd.net>
From: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/17/2002 10:59:27
On Wed, Oct 16, 2002 at 06:57:16PM -0500, Graham M Greenfield wrote:
> However, I was wondering the best way to go about cloning harddisks for
> the clients that would be used. Perhaps someone knows of a program that
> makes cloning easy and quick so that I wouldn't have to keep opening up
> cases?

Boot of an install/rescue floppy, cd, or network.

Stick the image to be cloned up on the network, somewhere accessible
by nfs or ftp.

Use the install image to dd that onto the hard disks over the network.

If your workstations are PXE or otherwise netboot-capable, it's
even easier to reuse this mechanism automatically each time you update
the image as well.

If the disks aren't all the same size, you'll either need to make
the image the size of the smallest disk, or script a little "newfs,
restore, installboot" routine.

--
Dan.