Subject: Re: com0 vs. com*
To: Johan Danielsson <joda@pdc.kth.se>
From: None <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/16/2002 23:30:42
On Wed, Oct 16, 2002 at 06:36:23PM +0200, Johan Danielsson wrote:
> Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil> writes:
>
> > There are some video cards that use the com3 I/O space, and when the
> > com probe routine tries to probe for com3, the card gets in a mode
> > where it doesn't display anything (I have one of these cards).
>
> I think the issue is
>
> com0	at isa? port 0x3f8 irq 4	# Standard PC serial ports
> com1	at isa? port 0x2f8 irq 3
> com2	at isa? port 0x3e8 irq 5
> #com3	at isa? port 0x2e8 irq 9

> I suppose one reason to use com0 instead of com* is to make sure these
> ports are exactly that.

I'd suggest sticking with the above config. Some/many machines have
BIOS settings to turn off selected serial ports. It would be a shame
to introduce the "jumping serial port" problem that we also have with
hard disks.

"It sounded pretty good, but it's hard to tell how it will work out
in practice." -- Dennis Ritchie, ~1977, "Summary of a DEC 32-bit machine"