Subject: Re: laptop woes
To: jessew <jessew@holly.colostate.edu>
From: Roland Dowdeswell <elric@imrryr.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/16/2002 02:39:45
jessew wrote:

>Yes...  as I realize I forgot to hit reply-all on all the responses, so I sent
>
>to Peter only instead of the list... oops!
>
>I'm running NetBSD 1.6.  I made a mistake with the numbers.  I've been trying
>the other BSDs as well.  Though NetBSD is the only one I've actually had luck
>with installing and  booting...
>
>So no ideas why putting the laptop to sleep messes everything up?

Are you:

	1.  running a kernel w/ apm support compiled in?  An example
	    of that would be the GENERIC_LAPTOP kernel.
	2.  running apmd?  if not configure it in /etc/rc.conf:

		apmd=YES

	    and start it:

		/etc/rc.d/apmd start

You can then manually force the laptop to suspend using zzz(8).

I'm not sure if close to suspend is properly supported, so I'll
have to defer to someone else's answer for that.  It didn't work
a couple of years ago for me, and my current laptop's battery only
lasts 8 minutes (because it's so old)---so I don't really suspend
anymore.

There is more information at:

	http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/power-mgmt/

--