Subject: Re: laptop woes
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/12/2002 19:56:36
In message <3DA8F165@webmail.colostate.edu>, jessew writes:
>Hi, I've been trying to get NetBSD 3.1 up and running on an old Dell Latitude
>XPi (Pentium 90, 8 MB).  The problem is suspending the machine and resuming
>freezes the computer completely, and when I force a reboot, I find the install
>has been completely trashed, only sometimes recoverable by fsck.  Any ideas
>why this is happening?  I suppose I could just not use suspend.  But seeing
>that the laptop dose it every time I close the lid, I wouldn't be able to take
>it anywhere without shutting down first...

Huh!  Oddly, a friend of mine had a somewhat newer than that Dell system
where, unpredictably, the entire FS would be trashed, sometimes including
the partition table.  We never did figure that out.

One possibility is that the machine expects some specific chunk of disk space
to be available for storing the contents of memory when it's suspending; it
might be worth setting up the "normal" Windows system on it, and looking to
see what the disk partitions look like.

BTW, there is no NetBSD 3.1.  You may be thinking of FreeBSD or something?

-s