Subject: RE: Running OpenOffice 1.0.1 under 1.6
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Video Mike <mike@cpdist.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/08/2002 03:17:04
Dear Steven,

I am sucessfully running OpenOffice on NetBSD v1.6 and it is working
fine.  However, at I had some core dumps running it with the first
installation.  I was pretty much confused on how to install it.  If you
follow this procedure it should work ok for you too:
Install the package as root.  Once that is completed log out and then
log back in and start X11 as a normal user and then run the "setup"
program (found in "/usr/pkg/OpenOffice.org641") that was created by
the package installation.  It will ask you if you want a network install
(11MB) or a full installation (approx. 256MB I think).  Choose the
network installation.  This will then install a subdirectory with the
name "OpenOffice.org641" in the user's home directory.  You will
also see a dialogue box come up that allows you to browse for the
java plug-in.  Point it to "/usr/pkg/java/sun-1.3.1" and click OK. You
will probably get some error messages along the way and a final
error of "Can't find Setup".  I ignored it.  After the installation is
complete you should find the executable "soffice" in "/usr/pkg/bin".
This is the program that you link to from each user's desktop that
you will use to start OpenOffice.

     I had to uninstall and reinstall a few times to finally figure out
what was going on.  The directions are unclear on the specifics
of the installation, but, once you install it, it should be fully
functional, fairly stable, and very impressive*.  I did find a big bug.
Don't try to save any files with OpenOffice in a directory that contains
a space in its name (i.e. "My Documents") or you will probably get
a nasty core dump.  I renamed it to "my_documents" and that fixed
that.

     Don't take this installation procedure as gospel.  This procedure
works for me, but, there is probably an alternative or better method
that I am unaware of that someone else in the NetBSD group knows
of and can recommend.  If you have anymore problems please
contact me and I will go through this with you.

Note that below I included a path to "/usr/pkg/java/sun-1.3.1" and
one to "/usr/pkg/OpenOffice.org641" in my ~/.cshrc file:

#	$NetBSD: dot.cshrc,v 1.6.2.1 1997/10/28 04:43:40 mellon Exp $
....//....

# The following is actually one long line but is broken into three for
# the purpose of clarity in this e-mail message.
set   path=(/bin/sbin/usr/{bin,sbin,local/{bin,sbin},
     pkg/{bin,sbin,java/sun-1.3.1,OpenOffice.org641/{,program}},
     games,X11R6/bin} )

# end of .cshrc file

Regards,
--Video Mike--

*Note: Even ?icrosoft Office users would be impressed.