Subject: Solved: NetBSD 1.6I-MP only sees one cpu
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@ninthwonder.com>
From: Sean J. Schluntz <schluntz@workofstone.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/07/2002 21:30:26
>OK.  Most BIOSes on SMP systems have an option for MP BIOS compliance
>(usually v1.1 vs. v1.4, I think).  My dual system comes up with:
>
>using 1659 buffers containing 6636 KB of memory
>BIOS32 rev. 0 found at 0xf0851
>mainbus0 (root)
>mainbus0: Intel MP Specification (Version 1.1) (IBM      8640 PCI    )
>
>I think it pulls this from the BIOS somewhere.
>
>Since you're seeing:
>BIOS32 rev. 0 found at 0xf0000
>mainbus0 (root)
>cpu0 at mainbus0: (uniprocessor)
>
>I suspect that it's getting a uniprocessor configuration from the BIOS.
>I don't know that much about it, though, as I'm just a user on the i386
>side...

Ok, thanks to those of you who got back to me right away.  For future
refrence (and any list search ;) what I had to do to get NetBSD to
see the second proc was to change the system type to "UNIX/Linux".  I had
previously tried Windows, and Other but those don't work.

Once the system type in the Compaq Proliant config tool was set to
UNIX/Linux NetBSD saw the extra processor and spun it up.  Now I
can see both processors working in top.

Thanks again for the help!

-Sean