Subject: Re: trouble booting from tiny installation.
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Carrie Jones <carrie@cjones.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/07/2002 10:35:46
On Mon, 7 Oct 2002, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 09:58:33AM -0600, Carrie Jones wrote:
> > Actually you are correct, it is dying before running swapon. I installed
> > the boot tiny on to a 486 with 8mgs of memory. I had 1.4.3 installed and
> > working fine, but it's eol'ed and I need to upgrade ssh, (what with all
> > the recent security holes,) and ssh wouldn't upgrade on my 1.4
> > installation.
>
> Are you sure you installed the GENERIC_TINY kernel ?
> I don't know what the tiny INSTALL floppy will install by default.
> GENERIC is 6MB large when GENERIC_TINY is only 1.5

Interesting. I went to the ftp.netbsd.org site, found the directory for
boot disks and downloaded the boot_tiny disk, which I then used to install
from. I tried using the boot_small first, but it wouldn't work, so I went
to the boot_tiny. It sounds like the boot tiny should have worked fine all
on it's own though. I will make a fresh boot_tiny disk and retry the
installation again. Since I have no user data on the machine (Boy do I
love burnable cd backups!) I can afford to blow it away again. I'll give
that a shot and let you know. If it doesn't work, I may try to build a
kernel on another machine. (I've got a pentium 2 running 1.6 available to
me.) Thanks so much for the info and advice.

-Carrie