Subject: Re: trouble booting from tiny installation.
To: Carrie Jones <carrie@cjones.org>
From: Roland Dowdeswell <elric@imrryr.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/07/2002 12:08:18
Carrie Jones wrote:

>Actually you are correct, it is dying before running swapon. I installed
>the boot tiny on to a 486 with 8mgs of memory. I had 1.4.3 installed and
>working fine, but it's eol'ed and I need to upgrade ssh, (what with all
>the recent security holes,) and ssh wouldn't upgrade on my 1.4
>installation.
>
>I suppose the best solution would be to start looking for a larger memory
>chip, but the dang thing is a packard-bell with one expansion slot, that
>requires a particular type of memory, so I'd have to find a very large
>memory chip and rip the 4 mgs out that are there and replace it, and I
>just know that kind of memory is not particularly cheap. Sigh. (I bought
>it back in 93 before I really knew anything about computers.)
>
>Any other avenues I can explore?

Yes, you could try to build (on another machine, probably :-) the
smallest possible kernel that contains support for the things that
you are trying to do.  If you are running GENERIC, then you can
probably trim 3 or 4 MB off it pretty easily.

--
    Roland Dowdeswell                      http://www.Imrryr.ORG/~elric/