Subject: Re: trouble booting from tiny installation.
To: Carrie Jones <carrie@cjones.org>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/07/2002 18:07:30
On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 09:58:33AM -0600, Carrie Jones wrote:
> Actually you are correct, it is dying before running swapon. I installed
> the boot tiny on to a 486 with 8mgs of memory. I had 1.4.3 installed and
> working fine, but it's eol'ed and I need to upgrade ssh, (what with all
> the recent security holes,) and ssh wouldn't upgrade on my 1.4
> installation.

Are you sure you installed the GENERIC_TINY kernel ?
I don't know what the tiny INSTALL floppy will install by default.
GENERIC is 6MB large when GENERIC_TINY is only 1.5

> I suppose the best solution would be to start looking for a larger memory
> chip, but the dang thing is a packard-bell with one expansion slot, that
> requires a particular type of memory, so I'd have to find a very large
> memory chip and rip the 4 mgs out that are there and replace it, and I
> just know that kind of memory is not particularly cheap. Sigh. (I bought
> it back in 93 before I really knew anything about computers.)
>
> Any other avenues I can explore?

if you really installed GENERIC_TINY, and it's too large, you'll have to
compile your own kernel. For this you need another NetBSD box (or you
can try to cross-compile from another host, build.sh -t may work
on linux for example).