Subject: Re: pxeboot docs?
To: Alex <xela@MIT.EDU>
From: Andreas Gustafsson <gson@gson.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/06/2002 19:29:11
Alex writes:
> 1.6 has /usr/mdec/pxeboot_ia32.bin and pxeboot_ia32_com0.bin,
> but I can't find any documentation --- there's no pxe, pxeboot,
> nor netboot man page, there's nothing in the installboot or diskless
> man page, and man -k pxe returns nothing.  Anyone know where I might
> find some documentation on this?

I don't think there is any documentation specific to PXE yet.  As for
netbooting in general, see diskless(8) and the Diskless NetBSD HOW-TO
(http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/network/netboot/).

In short, here's what you need to do:

Set up an NFS server as described in diskless(8) and the HOW-TO.

Copy the file pxeboot_ia32.bin into /tftpboot on the server and make
sure the tftp service is enabled in /etc/inetd.conf.

Configure dhcpd on the server with something like the following in
/etc/dhcpd.conf:

  class "pxe-clients-ia32" {
          match if substring (option vendor-class-identifier, 0, 20) = "PXEClient:Arch:00000";
          filename "pxeboot_ia32.bin";
  }

  host diskless {
          hardware ethernet 00:00:39:2b:65:99;    # replace with MAC address of your client
          fixed-address 10.0.0.7;                 # replace with desired IP address of client
          option host-name "diskless";            # replace with desired hostname of client
          next-server 10.0.0.1;                   # replace with IP address of DHCP+NFS server
          option root-path "/export/diskless/root"; # replace with actual root path
  }

--
Andreas Gustafsson, gson@gson.org