Subject: GRUB, NTFS, and NetBSD
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Steven Grunza <steven_grunza@ieee.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/03/2002 17:16:23
I have a dual boot system with NetBSD-1.6 and Win2000

The Win2000 was setup using NTFS and begins at offset 63

The NetBSD partition starts at offset 16,768,080

I currently use a boot floppy to run MS-DOS and then dosboot -u wd0a:netbsd

Has anyone installed GRUB on a system like this before?  I don't know a lot
about Win2000 / NT booting but my guess is that the Win2K boot code is
sitting at the beginning of the disk and if I load GRUB I will over-write
this boot code.  Since GRUB doesn't understand NTFS and would need to
chainload Win2K I'm expecting the disk to be fubar'd if I try this since
the Win2K boot loader will have been over-written by GRUB.

Any ideas how I can get this system to boot to either Win2K or NetBSD
without using a floppy?

"Unix is user friendly, it's just | Steven Grunza
particular about with whom it     | voice:  (856) 787 - 2759
makes friends."                   | fax:    (856) 866 - 2033
  - Unknown                        | mailto:steven_grunza@ieee.org