Subject: Re: lost interrupt
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Rasputin <rasputin@idoru.mine.nu>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/02/2002 12:59:37
* Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org> [1046 21:46]:
> On Fri, Sep 27, 2002 at 11:32:04PM +0200, Hanspeter Roth wrote:
> >   On Sep 27 at 21:35, Manuel Bouyer spoke:
> >
> > > Well, if it only downgrades to  Ultra-DMA mode 1, it's still using DMA.
> >
> > Hm. I cut off too mutch:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > The ATA controllers are Promise ATA 100 TX2 and ATA 133 TX2. Is
> > there a known problem with these?
>
> Ha, I missed this. Yes, there may be issues. I don't have datasheets for
> theses, and I'm not sure they're supposed to support DMA for ATAPI devices.
> You may want to try connecting your CD burner to the motherboard's
> controller.

I found similar issues with a Memorex Sixteen-MAXXi, which is supposed to suport
PIO4/Dm2 (according to dmesg) - first CD produced is always a coaster, then
 the driver downgrades to PIO4 and works reliably.

I worked around it by disabling DMA entirely, but it's very annoying, since the
drive supposedly burns at sixteen speed.... is it worth trying to force UltraDMA,
or is that meaningless for atapi drives?

I only mention it here because I was going to try sticking it on my Promise 100TX2
to see if it was better than the mobo (only reason it's on the motherboard is for
booting off CD).