Subject: Java issues (with JIT?)
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: None <daishi@cs.berkeley.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 10/01/2002 01:20:16
Hi,

This is essentially a "me too" to the post by Herb Peyerl
<hpeyerl@beer.org> on -current under the subject
"JIT under Java >=1.2 on i386 current." To summarize
the problem, however:

As far as I can tell, as long as JIT isn't used,
i.e., if I use 1.3.1* with -classic, the things work.
If I do use JIT, however, I end up with a java process
that approaches 100% cpu utilization and requires a
kill -9 to terminate. (As far as I can tell 1.4*
forces use of a JIT - it warns away -classic saying
that it's using the client VM).

I'm using NetBSD 1.6 with the following JDKs:
        j2sdk1.4.1
        j2sdk1.4.0_02
        j2sdk1.4.0
        jdk1.3.1_05
        jdk-1.3.1

The jdk-1.3.1 was installed through pkgsrc a while ago.
Everything else was manually installed recently.

Trivial programs seem to run okay with JIT. I was
originally thinking that perhaps the problem might be
awt/swing related, but trivial GUI programs also
appear to function okay under JIT.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,