Subject: Re: VIA chipsets still suck.
To: MLH <MLH@goathill.org>
From: Ricardo Ryoiti S. Junior <suga@netbsd.com.br>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/30/2002 18:34:24
	Hi,

	Motherboard manufacturers are always changing the codec embedded
with 686A/B, so the driver must support them. Mine is a Avance Logic (now
own by Realtek) ALC100/P, and it's not supported by Netbsd's driver. It's
recognized as ALC38 and the audio rate does not work correctly.
	Under linux, both the kernel and alsa do not support it, only
Opensound.com's OSS drivers (payware). As the machine is a SMP one and the
OSS driver seems not to like smp machines, it was impossible for me to use
the integrated sound. Both in NetBSD and Linux.
	ECS and Realtek had released a binary driver for specific kernel
versions (RedHat's messed kernel), and they're not willing to release
source code. I emailed their support and their support not even knew what
I was talking about. Also, the answers were written with very poor english
(unbelievable, but poorer than mine :). The chinese guys don't care even
about putting people with good english knowlegde to answer support issues.

	There's a datasheet with design information on my chip, but
unfoortunatelly I do not have the knowledge to workout a patch from it.

	[]s
	Ricardo.