Subject: Dell Inspiron 7500 Cardbus problems
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Steven Grunza <steven_grunza@ieee.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/30/2002 11:02:19
Has anyone had success with NetBSD 1.6 on a Dell Inspiron 7500 using the
Cardbus controller?  I'm getting stuck during boot.

pieces of the boot screen are:

pcmcia0 at cardslot0
cbb1: interrupting at irq 11
cardslot1 at cbb1 slot 1 flags 0
cardbus1 at cardslot1: bus 0 device 0
pcmcia1 at cardslot1
biomask ef6d netmask ef6d ttymask ffef

The biomask line is the last line -- machine needs to be power cycled to
get back to functional
Note that there is a Xircom 10/100 Ethernet / 56K Modem card (CBEM56G-100)
in the system when it fails to boot.  Without the Xircom card it boots ok.

Is this a problem with the Xircom card (works in WinME and Win2K) or in the
Cardbus controller code?  I'm not sure where to start trying to debug this...

Another observation:  Inserting the card while the system is up and running
hangs the system requiring a power cycle

I would like to get this working since the DHCP server here (administered
by IT) knows the MAC of this particular card and getting that changed could
be problematic.  Thanks for all help and suggestions.  (I can be reached by
gAIM as StevenGrunza most of the day as well as by e-mail...)

"Unix is user friendly, it's just | Steven Grunza
particular about with whom it     | voice:  (856) 787 - 2759
makes friends."                   | fax:    (856) 866 - 2033
  - Unknown                        | mailto:steven_grunza@ieee.org