Subject: Re: Motherboard Recommendation Summary.
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Thomas Michael Wanka <Tom@Wanka.at>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/28/2002 20:14:54
Hi,

On 28 Sep 2002 at 14:05, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> Another one I've looked at is the Tyan Tiger and Thunder boards.
> They are expensive though.  Are they worth the extra money?  If so, is
> it because they are more stable, or is is just features?

I have a Tiger MPX. I have not (jet) tested NetBSD. Beginning with Bios V.1.01 it works well and
stable. AMDs MP/MPX chipsets do not support PCI Parity and maybe other things. Compaqs Raid
controllers (at least the 2P but I have heard of others too) will not work with these chipsets
(as of Q1 2002), other cards may need a firmware update (e.g. some Intel GBnics). The Tyan board
is designed to leave enough space for even larger heatsinks, the onboard Nic works well, it can
be configured to use TTYA or B as console.

HTH

mike