Subject: VIA chipsets still suck.
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/28/2002 00:36:45
I have access to three machines with "similar" VIA chipsets on them.

Machine #1:  iPaq IA-1.  Uses auvia for audio, and:
uhci0 at pci0 dev 7 function 2: vendor 0x1106 product 0x3038 (rev. 0x0e)

Behaviors:  Some USB devices work, but a more complicated gizmo (say, a
multi-port hub with serial ports) will fail with messages like:

uhub2: FTDI 7 Port Multifunction Hub, class 9/1, rev 1.10/1.00, addr 3
uhub2: port 7 power on failed, TIMEOUT
uhub2: port 8 power on failed, TIMEOUT
uhub2: port 9 power on failed, TIMEOUT

This external hub is then dead.  This hub works just fine attached to one of
my other machines.  Kernel from same sources, similar config files.  ("dead"
meaning "system does not configure any devices on it"; it's not physically
damaged.)  And yes, the external hub has its own power supply.

Audio works on this one.

Machine #2:  Gigabyte motherboard with Athlon. auvia audio,
uhci0 at pci0 dev 7 function 2: VIA Technologies VT83C572 USB Controller (rev.
0x1a)
uhub0: VIA Technologie UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1

Behaviors:  On boot, this machine always says
uhub0: port error, restarting port 1
uhub0: port error, giving up port 1
uhub0: port error, restarting port 2
uhub0: port error, giving up port 2

The internal ports are never usable.

The auvia audio never produces any sound output.

Machine #3:  My mom's laptop.  Same basic setup as the iPaq.
Audio works only on cold boots, not on warm boots.  Occasional strangeness
with USB ports, though nothing concrete.

So, I guess the big question is, am I the only person having about a 50%
failure rate with the auvia driver, and having problems of one sort or another
with every VIA-based USB controller I've ever seen?

-s